Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Flanders Mare rides in

The very first time I saw Henry, I thought, "Who is this madman?!"

It all started when I landed at Deal in Kent in December of 1539. The trip from home to England was long and arduous. It took an extra six weeks to get to the coast, before boarding and sailing to England. By the time I arrived at port, I felt like I had been dragged through the mud - which is quite true, considering the raging rainstorm going on at the time. It delayed casting off by a week and even then, a decision was made to go ahead and sail despite poor weather. I was tempest-tossed by the time I got to Deal and felt rather like a drowned rat. Well, more like a muddy, drowned, bedraggled and completely exhausted rat.

The reception at Deal was rather lovely, however. I couldn't understand a word of what was going on, but it seemed as though the entire town turned out to see me. That was a first - no one had really bothered to see this old maid (of 24) with such excitement before. I enjoyed a short stay at Deal and was able to dry out a bit, before proceeding on to Rochester for New Year's Day and to meet my future husband.

On New Year's Day, I was in my chambers at the Abbey of Rochester, watching the entertainment provided by the townspeople. It was bull-baiting and I must confess, not all that interesting. I was more interested in the arrival of my fiance, which was supposed to be sometime that evening. While I was looking out the window, I was approached by a tall man in a mottled cloak, who was accompanied by five other men in similar cloaks. He lifted me to my feet, kissed me roughly upon the lips and presented me with a ring from King Henry as a New Year's present. I was so shocked and abashed, I didn't know what to say, so I said, "Thank you". I had no idea who he was or what he was going on about - or even how he got into my chambers. I kept one eye on the window the whole time, in case my future husband should arrive and find a strange man in my chambers. The cloaked man left abruptly.

A few minutes later, the cloaked man returned, but this time he was wearing a coat of purple velvet. Mein Gott! The cloaked man was Henry, the man I had been waiting for! I humbled myself, sinking to my knees and lowering my head to his majesty. Henry kindly raised me to my feet and we talked for several hours. Well, we spoke through translators, so the conversation was quite stilted. And it was rather difficult to express my feelings to my future husband through a third party.


I ended the evening with a distinct impression of his Majesty's exquisite manners. He was the most polite and courtly man I have ever met. A little on the rotund side for my tastes (seriously, a 54" waist...) and twice my age, but nonetheless, a very polite man.

- Anna of Cleves


imgres.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment