Friday, August 31, 2012

Greensleeves and Glamour- A not-so-humble note from Anne Boleyn

Hello World, 

In case you don’t know me (that can’t be very many, right?), my name is Anne Boleyn. I was asked to write a bit about myself and I am most happy to do so! 

Where to begin...I shall start by saying that I will forever be one of England’s most famous queens. I was known for my intelligence, lively personality, and keen wit. Like all good French influenced women, I knew how to say no when I meant yes and yes when I meant no and thrived at the art of conversation. I could tease, tempt and trap with the best of them. I was a skilled musician and dancer, and attracted the attention of many men at court. My brilliance and forward thinking were both my asset and downfall. 

However, what many people don’t know about me was that I possessed an amazing eye for detail, a lust for fashion and a talent for persuasion. These qualities became both my comfort and hope as I often faced isolation masked in social grace. I presided over a magnificent court. Royals were expected to be extravagant in order to convey the strength of the monarchy. I spent huge sums on gowns, jewels, head-dresses, ostrich-feather fans, riding equipment, and the finest furniture and upholstery from across the world. Numerous palaces were renovated to suit my extravagant tastes.
 
To clear things up further, I would also like to address the rumors of my disfigurement and infidelity. For the record…I did nothave 6 fingers or sleep with my brother (I mean really - what classless accusations).

I did have a love affair (the only affair I had) with the color green. So much so that a famed English folk tune was rumored to be composed for me. That’s right…there is a persistent belief that Greensleeves was composed by Henry VIII for his lover and future queen (ahem). Christmas and New Year texts were not associated with the tune until 1686, and by the 19th century almost every printed collection of Christmas carols included some version of words and music together. One of the most popular of these is "What Child Is This?" written in 1865 by William Chatterton Dix. Fun bit of music history for you! Admittedly, humility was never my strong suit so I feel it only appropriate that I am not only talked about but sung about to this day. Marilyn Monroe - eat your heart out!  

I had a major influence on the industry of fashion and sported designs that were from the couture collections. I brought glamor and glitz to a depressed and sullen court and was proud of my sway on the style of the time. If I were alive today, my allegiance to Jean Paul Gaultier would be mind-blowing and I am sure Henry would have had to purchase his whole collection for me. I mean, have you seen what he has put out for fall 2012? Just get a look at these:


 Can’t you just see me in that yellow dress imported from Calais? J’adore! 

I hope that this has helped you get to know me a bit better and that you find my life and times as fascinating as I. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at annieb@tudors.com or follow me on twitter #headofthehousehold. 

Au revoir,
Anne
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment